- See more at: http://tutorialgeek.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-change-your-blogger-domain-url.html#sthash.sezFio1Q.dpuf

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

7 Years Bad Luck + Curtains

I’m about to show you something I’m completely ashamed of…the reason I haven’t posted any pictures of the living room….
Remember this mirror? The one I ripped off the bathroom wall 10 months ago?

Yeah, so it’s been sitting in my living room ever since then.

I left it there because it’s really heavy and that’s about as far as I could move it. I figured I’d put it on Craigslist for free and it’d be gone in a few days. 10 months later…I still hadn’t listed it on Craigslist and it was just sitting there mocking me for being a procrastinator. Before I tell the rest of my mirror tale, I realize I could have just listed it on Craigslist and been done with it. But I didn’t, mostly because I hate dealing with people from Craigslist and I hate giving strangers my address…especially if I’m not making any money. Yes, I’m paranoid and selfish.
Anyway, one night last week I snapped. I said to myself, “Screw 7 years bad luck! I’m going to break this thing and throw it away. It’s probably bad luck to have a mirror blocking a window for this long!” Then I realized that there’s no way to break that big of a mirror without making a huge mess – scratch that plan.
Then I thought, “I could cut it into smaller pieces and throw those away.” So, the next day I went to Home Depot and bought a $4 glass cutter. That night I laid a couple of towels over my coffee table and then put the mirror on top. I decided to cut the mirror into 3 pieces and then cut those pieces in half. I cut the first piece off with no problem – that mirror cutter is seriously awesome. I cut that piece in half and stacked them on a chair. I scored the next piece, snapped it and this happened:

That piece was hanging too far off the table, so it fell when I cut it. Ugh, it took forever to clean up – good thing I didn’t go with my original plan of breaking the whole mirror.
I cut the last piece in half and was left with this:

Success!
So, I take off my safety glasses and gloves and go get the trash can. I come back and accidently catch my hand on a piece of mirror and it slices the top of my hand. As I’m running my hand under water and hoping it’ll stop bleeding, I wonder if 7 years bad luck really starts that quick or if it’s karma for throwing the mirror away instead of finding it a new home or if I’m just really that clumsy…
Fast forward a couple days: my hand is healing, the mirror is safely in the trash can, and I’m ready to hang some curtains! I saw these curtains at Target about a week ago and almost bought them, but I’m indecisive about anything fabric related so I didn’t. Then I saw them again at Inside-Out Design and decided I did want them.
Did you know Target has Target specific coupons? They do and they happened to have a Buy One Get One ½ Off coupon for any Target Home curtains! So, instead of paying $19.99 for each panel, I got both panels for $30! $10 savings – I’ll take it!

Is it just me or is it impossible to get a good picture of a window?! Especially the biggest one with the most light!
Anyway, here’s an up close shot so you can see the real color of everything:

The curtain rod is from Wal-Mart. I wish I could hang it a little higher, but then my curtains would be high-waters. Maybe someday I’ll add trim to the bottom of the curtains and re-hang them…don’t hold your breath though.

Whew, that was a pretty long post just to tell y’all that I hung curtains!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin